Why I decided not to go to Paris Fashion Week.

Nina Ricci F/W 13 via Labert and Associates

I lay awake all night with a disturbing question on my mind. I couldn't get my thoughts off it, and it wouldn't let me sleep either. Should I go to Paris Fashion Week ? By myself ? Should I, or should I not ?

Nga won't be there as she is back in London and has exams this week, but I do have the time. Actually. Uni hasn't started for me yet. We got several invitations, Nina Ricci, Viktor & Rolf etc. including backstage access. Backstage access is something amazing. You can take photos of the models behind the scenes, maybe take photos with the models if you can find the time, and it gives you the feeling of being right there in the middle of fashion industry. An excitement for people who don't work in the industry, that can't be compared to any other feeling.

It definitely is an opportunity, but is it really worth it ? Going to Fashion Week without being sponsored is not a cheap thing to do. In major cities like London, Paris, New York and Milano, living expenses are high. Thus when you come from a place like Berlin, where living expenses are low, it simply will cost you more money than you were going to spend if you just stayed in Berlin. If you plan it as a trip, and have saved money beforehand for your journey, it is a different matter. But if you suddenly get invitations, and are supposed to spend money from the funds you currently have, money you wanted to spend on something else, the questions of whether it is worth is pops up basically by itself.

The fact that Nga won't be there, and none of my other friends is willing to go with me, I started wondering, 'Do I really want to go by myself?'. I do know some people in Paris, but it is not the same feeling as going with your close friends. Shouldn't I be more independent and not rely on my friends for such a matter ? I have travelled by myself before, and it was never as much fun as travelling with my friends. If you compare this whole fashion week affair with a super fancy party, you are invited to. Would you go ? With the opportunity to maybe meet fancy people and with the opportunity to dress yourself fancily. But without much money to spend on the fancy drinks, and without knowing anyone at the party, would you be able to have fun ? I wouldn't. I most definitely wouldn't. That's why I decided not to go to Paris Fashion Week. Paris is a beautiful city, but I don't want to be there on my own, without much money in my pocket. Shows and backstage, and all excitement aside.

I'm choosing to stay in Munich instead, to spend the time with my friends, and to have fun, far away from the fashion week turmoil and far away from Paris. The good thing about fashion week and paris  are that they don't vanish. So I might miss out this season, but there will always be a next time. As there will also always be a fancier party to attend. Besides I still can have my share of Paris Fashion Week thanks to style.com and the many other bloggers who are going.

Cheers, 
Julia
You have read this article Fashion Week / julia / Personal / vietnamese fashion blogger with the title Why I decided not to go to Paris Fashion Week.. You can bookmark this page URL https://weddingdressnews.blogspot.com/2013/09/why-i-decided-not-to-go-to-paris.html. Thanks!